Do foreign nationals need to file any extra documents to divorce in Japan?

Who can sponsor a foreign resident to stay in Japan?
July 26, 2017
What types of cases do public prosecutors handle in Japan?
August 1, 2017
Show all

As long as both parties are in agreement, divorce in Japan can be accomplished with surprisingly ease.  A Divorce by Agreement in Japan only requires both parties to sign or stamp their seal on a Registration of Divorce and submit it to the local government office.  Approximately 90% of divorces in Japan are conducted this way.

When obtaining a divorce in Japan between a Japanese citizen and a foreign national, the following documents must be provided: A divorce application, a copy of the marriage certificate or family registry, a copy of the certificate of alien registration for the non-Japanese spouse and the necessary filing fee.

If you have any questions about divorce in Japan please contact our office to set up a legal consultation.