Tomoyoshi Furukawa joined Ohara & Furukawa in 2004 and serves as Ohara & Furukawa’s senior associate. Admitted as a lawyer in both New York and Japan, his practice focuses mainly on corporate and intellectual property law, as well as helping Japanese clients do business overseas. Tomoyoshi is fluent in English and routinely drafts commercial contracts in both English and Japanese.
Tomoyoshi first passed the Japanese bar in 2002 while he was still an undergraduate student at Kyoto University. The following year he graduated from the department of Law and immediately entered the legal trainee program for one year. Upon completing his training, Tomoyoshi joined Ohara & Furukawa as an associate.
In 2010, Tomoyoshi traveled to America to earn his LLM in American law with an Intellectual Property concentration from Boston University, School of Law. He continued to train in intellectual property law through his work at the famous United States intellectual property firm Oblon, Spivak, McClelland, Maier & Neustadt, L.L.P. in Virginia. While working at Oblon, Tomoyoshi was admitted to the New York State Bar and then became a member of the American Intellectual Property Law Association. Before returning to Ohara & Furukawa in 2012, Tomoyoshi worked for three months at the Dacheng Law Offices in Shanghai, China.
Tomoyoshi regularly gives seminars related to the latest developments in intellectual property law. His fluency in English allows him to work closely with both Japanese and foreign clients with ease. Furthermore, Tomoyoshi’s knowledge of US and Japanese law enables him to help both Japanese clients expanding overseas and foreign clients setting up a business in Japan.
Tomoyoshi is an avid ping pong player. He also runs marathons in his spare time.
- Associate Attorney-at-Law of Ohara & Furukawa, 2012 – Present
- Legal Trainee at Dacheng Law Offices in Shanghai, China, September 2012 – November 2012
- American Intellectual Property Law Association, Member, 2012
- Legal Trainee at Oblon, Spivak, McClelland, Maier & Neustadt, L.L.P. in Virginia, U.S.A, September 2011 – August 2012
- Osaka Bar Association, 2004
- Japan Federation of Bar Associations, 2004
- New York State Bar, 2012
- Passed Japanese Bar examination, 2002
- School of Law at Boston University, Master of Laws (LL.M.) in American Law Program with Intellectual Property Concentration, 2011
- Legal Training and Research Institute of the Supreme Court of Japan, 1969
- Legal Training and Research Institute of the Supreme Court of Japan, 2004
- Faculty of Law at Kyoto University, LL.M., LL.B.