Who can sponsor a foreign resident to stay in Japan?

Why is it important to have a Japanese contract translated by an attorney?
July 24, 2017
Do foreign nationals need to file any extra documents to divorce in Japan?
July 28, 2017
Show all

Employers, schools or relatives, among other parties, are allowed to sponsor a visa for a foreign national to come to Japan.  Each of these sponsoring relationships is different and will therefore have different requirements but the general procedure is the same.

The sponsor will first need to collect various required documents from the foreign national and apply for a Certificate of Eligibility at the Regional Immigration Bureau.  Once the Certificate has been issued, it will need to be sent to the foreign national living in a foreign country.

Applying for a Certificate of Eligibility can be complicated and it is always advisable to have a lawyer’s help when making the application.  If you would like to sponsor a foreign national to come to Japan, please contact our office for a legal consultation.