Is it possible to request a copy of foreigner registration records in Japan?

What is an Exclusive License Agreement?
June 28, 2017
Is it possible to sue someone for engagement fraud in Japan?
July 3, 2017
Show all

The Ministry of Justice will accept requests for disclosure of alien registration records for foreigners living in Japan.  Having a copy of these records can help foreign nationals clarify the source of their immigration problems or provide evidence in an immigration dispute.  However, these records contain very private information and therefore, the Ministry of Justice takes great care to avoid disclosing them to the wrong person.  The ministry does this by ensuring that only applications for disclosure by certain people will be accepted.

In general, there are two types of people that can make a request for disclosure of alien registration records.  First, the person who is the subject of the record can make a request to see his or her own records.  Additionally, statutory agents, such as a parent or legal guardian, can also make these requests on behalf of their ward.

If you have any questions about disclosure of alien registration records in Japan, please contact our office for a legal consultation.