Does a change of name or address need to be reported in Japan?

What is a Force Majeure clause?
April 7, 2017
Is there common law marriage in Japan?
April 12, 2017
Show all

When information on a foreign national’s residence card becomes out-of-date, it is the foreign national’s duty to report the change to the local ward office or immigration office.  Most information should be reported to the relevant office within 14 days, although there are some exceptions.  Changes to address should be reported to the ward office, while other changes, such as nationality, name or gender should be reported to the immigration office.

The Japanese immigration authorities keep a record of basic information about foreign nationals who have been granted permission to live in Japan.  This information includes things such as the foreign national’s name, address, nationality and date of birth and most of this information is reflected on the foreign national’s residence card.  As noted above, when this information becomes out-of-date, the foreign national should take efforts to update it.

If you have any questions about changes to information on a residence card, please contact our office for a legal consultation.