Does marrying a permanent resident of Japan allow the spouse to receive a visa?

What do the Incoterms CFR and CIF mean?
September 12, 2017
Can witnesses appear by video conference in Japan?
September 19, 2017
Show all

There are two types of spousal visas in Japan, one for spouses of Japanese citizens and one for spouses of permanent residents of Japan, although both visas are substantially the same.  Therefore, it is possible for a foreign national to receive a visa to enter Japan even if his/her spouse is only a Japanese permanent resident.

In addition, although this visa is called the “spouse visa,” it can also apply to the children of permanent residents of Japan who otherwise might not have legal status to stay in Japan.

A spousal visa is one of the most flexible visas offered by the Japanese government and spouses of permanent residents should consider applying if they meet the necessary criteria.  If you have any questions about visas in Japan, please contact our office for a legal consultation.