What happens if I don’t follow the terms of my visa in Japan?

When can rent on property be raised in Japan?
January 16, 2017
What happens to a spousal visa upon divorce in Japan?
January 20, 2017
Show all

The Minister of Justice may revoke a foreigner’s status of residence upon a finding that the foreigner obtained residency status through deceit or that the foreigner has not engaging in the activities associated with his or her visa for three months or more while living in Japan.  There is an exception made for foreigners who have a justifiable reason for not engaging in their visa approved activities.

A foreign resident of Japan is prohibited from engaging in activities for which he or she receives income or reward that lie outside the activities authorized by his or her visa.  However, payment for lectures that are not given on a regular basis, incidental rewards received as part of daily life and special payments allowed by the Ministry of Justice are all exceptions to this general rule.

If you have any questions about visas in Japan, please contact our office for a legal consultation.