How do you apply for a work visa to work in Japan?

What types of visas are required to work or study in Japan?
February 24, 2016
Is a visa required to work or visit Japan?
February 24, 2016
Show all

To apply for a working visa in Japan, a foreign applicant must bring his or her passport, visa application, photograph and Certificate of Eligibility (original plus copy) to their local Japanese consulate or embassy. It is possible to apply for a visa without the Certificate of Eligibility but the documentation required to be produced by the applicant will be much greater and it may take longer for the visa to be approved.

A Certificate of Eligibility is issued by the regional immigration authority in Japan under the jurisdiction of the Ministry of Justice. This Certificate will state that the applicant has met the conditions of the Immigration Control Act and should be granted a visa to enter Japan. When the foreign national presents the Certificate to his or her local Japanese embassy or consulate, it speeds up the visa application process and increases the likelihood that the visa will be granted. The foreign national’s proxy in Japan, usually the business that seeks to hire the foreign national, can apply for this Certificate at their regional immigration authority.

If you have any questions about visas in Japan, please contact our office for a legal consultation.